It’s official, TIFF has landed in Toronto and the city is buzzing with excitement! To celebrate, the Thompson Hotel has launched 4 delicious cocktails inspired by movies that are showing at #TIFF17. After getting a tasty sneak peek, we’re sharing how to make each one at home for your own private film screenings! It’s time for all of us to dust off that bar cart and channel our inner James Bond because we all know he likes it shaken, not stirred.
See below for how to make these film festival-inspired cocktails courtesy of The Thompson Toronto:
Dedicated to TIFF founder Bill Marshall, this drink’s use of Scotch Whisky is an homage to Bill’s Scottish heritage in the style of an Old Fashioned. We love how stiff this drink is and it’s perfect after a long day at the theatres!
- 1.5 oz. Blended Scotch
- 0.5 oz. Peated Scotch
- 0.5 oz. Cinnamon + Bay Syrup
- 3 Dashes of Bitters
Cinnamon + Bay Syrup:
- 1 Litre each of sugar and water
- 4 Cinnamon sticks
- 4 Bay leaves
- Combine ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before using.
- Combine all the ingredients in a shaker with ice and stir and strain into a rocks glass over a king cube.
EDISON’S MILK PUNCH
This cocktail is inspired by the movie ‘The Current War,’ where Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse vic for a marketable and sustainable electricity system. The hint of nutmeg at the end of this cocktail gives us major holiday vibes + the creamy finish is like an grown-up glass of milk!
- 1.5 oz. Bacardi White Rum
- 0.5 oz. Crème de Cacao
- 1 oz. Lemon juice
- 1.5 oz. Chai Syrup
- 0.5 oz. 10% Cream
- 1 Dash Bitters
- Nutmeg to garnish
- 2 Litres of sugar
- 1 Litre of water
- 5 Chai tea bags
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Let sit for 5 minutes then remove from heat and allow to cool completely before using.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and fine strain into a rock glass over a king cube. Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
Inspired by the movie ‘Downsizing,’ a suburban couple choose to have themselves shrunk by a Norwegian doctor who promises them that they will be living a life of luxury on a budget and at that size. Served in a tall shot glass as a mini, snack-sized cocktail. A little sweet and sour, this mini is the perf aperitif before seeing the film!
- 0.5 oz. Grey Goose Cherry Noir
- 0.5 oz. St. Germain
- 0.5 oz. Lemon Juice
- 0.5 oz. Simple Syrup
- Equal parts sugar and water
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before using.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour into a tall shot glass as a mini, snack sized cocktail.
This cocktail is inspired by the movie ‘Battle of the Sexes‘, which centers around the famous 1973 tennis match between World #1 Billie Jean King and former champ and serial hustler Bobby Riggs. Super refreshing and zingy thanks to the ginger syrup, this baby will become your go-to for all your future dinner parties!
- 1 oz. Cazadores Tequila
- 0.75 oz. Pimm’s
- 0.5 oz. Strawberry Ginger Syrup
- 0.75 oz. Lemon
- 0.50 Egg White
- 2 Cucumber slices
Strawberry Ginger Syrup:
- 1 Litre each water and sugar
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped ginger
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool completely before using.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and fine strain into a tall glass and garnish with a mint leaf.
(Story by Assistant Editor, Blair Stutz)