What do you get when a green juice-obsessed margarita-lover decides to create a new cocktail recipe for Cinco de Mayo? A hybrid that combines the two of course! Seriously though, this Tropical Coconut Avocado Margarita is inspired by the healthy green smoothies I love to enjoy in the mornings, along with two of the most delicious margaritas I’ve ever had. The first is a Pineapple and Basil Margarita that I discovered when I went to Sayulita, Mexico that knocked my socks off. The second is the Avocado Margarita I had in Scottsdale, Arizona at the end of my road trip along part of the historic Route 66.
I thought the idea of having an avocado in a cocktail was so interesting because it’s not something that you normally come across, or automatically think of when it comes to enjoying a delicious avocado from Mexico. Although I thought the original Avocado Margarita I had in Scottsdale was good, I knew that I could take that idea to make a version that’s even better. With Cinco de Mayo on it’s way, what better way to celebrate than with a delicious margarita in hand that contains so many healthy ingredients that you can practically claim it to be a detox drink? See below for how to make my latest recipe for Avocados from Mexico:
Tropical Coconut Avocado Margarita Recipe
What You Need:
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander
- 1/2 jalapeno deseeded
- 1/2 avocado from Mexico
- juice of 4-5 limes
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz cointreau
- salt & coconut flake rim
- garnish with lime and jalapeño
What To Do:
- Fill a high power blender or food processor with approximately half a cup of ice (you can add more as needed), then fill with the remaining ingredients minus the salt and shredded coconut rim, and garnish.
- Blend until smooth.
- Use a piece of lime to moisten the rim of each glass, then dip the rim into the salt and shredded coconut rim.
- When the rim is covered, fill each glass with the margarita mixture and garnish each glass with a slice of lime and jalapeño.
Serve and Enjoy!