One thing to know about me is that I’m not big on leaving my home to go for brunch, at least not very often. Getting up early to stand in line at one of Toronto’s hottest brunch spots has never appealed to me, because if I’m going out for any meal I want to be able to walk in without a wait, get a table and start ordering!
When Josh and I do venture outdoors from breakfast on the weekend, our favourite spot to go grab a bite doesn’t even involve a place with seating (I’m serious). That’s right, our favourite ‘brunch’ spot is the Epicure Deli in Cabbagetown where we can go in and order the best breakfast sandwich ever — The Popeye — in the midst of doing our weekend shopping and errands.
The Popeye Breakfast Sandwich at Epicure is always made on a bagel of your choice, topped with a slice of havarti cheese, fresh spinach and a free-range egg. Whenever we order ours, Josh and I both always ask to have slices of tomato and bacon added; the whole thing comes toasted, hot, gooey and ever so yummy.
My homemade version of the ‘Popeye’ breakfast sandwich on ACE Bakery‘s new Baguette Bagel is a recipe I submitted for their Discover Great Contest earlier this summer. In anticipation of this weekend’s trip to Ottawa to Dine in the Sky with ACE Bakery, here’s my recipe to try at home over any weekend at any time of year! See how to make it below:
What You Need:
- 1 ACE Bakery Baguette Bagel
- 1 Slice of Havarti Cheese
- 1 Egg Cooked Sunny Side Up
- 2 Slices of Cooked Crispy Bacon
- 2-3 Slices of Fresh Tomato
- 6 Fresh Spinach Leaves
What To Do:
- When your egg and slices of bacon are nearly cooked, put your ACE Baguette Bagel in the toaster.
- Once toasted, start assembling your sandwich by placing your slice of cheese on the bottom half, followed by the spinach and tomato.
- Add the cooked egg and bacon before placing the other half of the bagel on top.
- Serve with a bit of mustard and/or hot sauce if desired.