Looking to impress dad this Father’s Day? Then look no further than this incredible burger recipe from Chef Adam Alguire of Toronto’s Café Cancan that takes the classic dish to another level when served with a sauce au poivre. Prepare a 7 oz. burger using NIKU Farms Grass Fed Ground Beef before creating this unique sauce.
Keep reading for how to make The NIKU Farms Father’s Day Burger au Poivre Recipe!
Father’s Day Burger au Poivre
Chef’s Tip: Cook your burger on a cast iron pan on top of the barbecue
For The Sauce Au Poivre
What You need:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cream
- 1 pc shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed peppercorns
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Cheese of your choice (for topping)
*NOTE* If cooking the burgers in a pan, use the same pan to start the sauce for added flavor; if not, starting with a fresh pan works well.
What To Do:
- Thinly slice shallots and garlic and sauté them with canola oil in a pan. Once browned, add the chicken stock and reduce the liquid down by 3 times its volume over medium-high heat.
- Once the stock is reduced, add the cream. Bring this up to a simmer and reduce the heat (too high a heat will cause the sauce to boil over). Allow sauce to continue simmering and reduce by half.
- After reducing the sauce, strain out the aromatics (or keep them in for a rustic touch). Stir in remaining ingredients to season the sauce. Continue to simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it reaches a thick gravy-like consistency.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of sauce on top of each burger with melted cheese.
Tip: Add extra stock if the sauce gets too thick. If the sauce is over-reduced, you will notice it will start looking greasy and split. Add more stock and bring back to a boil to fix this.
(Recipe credit: Adam Alguire for NIKU Farms, Image credit: NIKU Farms)