Recipe testing is a funny thing. Sometimes you can spend hours developing a new idea, only to discover that it just doesn’t work. On the contrary, there are times when you come up with something that stops you in your tracks and makes you go, “WOW” and “OMG!!” as you start jumping for joy. This is one of those recipes that I completely fell in love with as soon as I had that wonderful first bite.
To be honest, my palate is more savoury than sweet, and I have a total addiction to extremely spicy foods which I can only assume comes from my Korean heritage. Although I do love to bake, I don’t often eat much of any desserts or baked goods I create, and my preferred choice in sweets is always a piece (or two) of great dark chocolate.
When I recently made a batch of my favourite Gluten Free No Bake Energy Balls with Spirulina, I started thinking about how I could make a chocolate version that would still be just as healthy. When I started flipping through some of my favourite healthy cookbooks for inspiration, I came across Gwyneth Paltrow‘s Chocolate Truffles recipe in her latest cookbook, It’s All Easy, and it instantly sparked ideas for how I could make it my own.
Since I love when dark chocolate is paired with ginger or chilli flakes, I wanted to create a version of healthy homemade truffles that have a kick to them. The result? These incredibly delicious and super easy to make Vegan Chocolate Truffles with Ginger and Sweet Chilli Pistachios! See below for how to make them.
Vegan Chocolate Truffles with Ginger and Sweet Chili Pistachios
Makes approximately 20 small-med sized truffles
What You Need:
- 30 Wonderful Pistachios Sweet Chili Pistachios, de shelled.
- 1 Tbsp of Chia Seeds
- 1 Cup of Raw Cacao Powder
- 4 Tbsp of Agave Nectar
- 4 Tbsp of Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Pinches of Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp of Organic Ground Ginger
- 12 Drops of Stevia
Sweet Chili Pistachios by Wonderful Pistachios is Maple Leaf’s player, James Van Riemsdyk‘s favourite flavour (remember when we worked out together that one time?) and that can be purchased at most major grocery stores.
What To Do:
- First, put your de shelled sweet chili pistachios in a small zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to gently crush them into smaller pieces. Place the crushed pistachios in a small bowl combined with the chia seeds and set aside.
- Next, combine the cacao powder, grounder ginger agave, coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla and stevia together in a medium sized bowl. The best way to turn this into a smooth mixture is to get your hands dirty and use them to combine everything together.
- Once combined, wash your hands and set aside a plate or tray to place the truffles onto once prepared. Put a bit of water onto a side plate or small bowl to wet your hands as you roll – it will help the chocolate form into balls and stop it from completely sticking to your hands.
- Scoop a small amount of the mixture and use both hands to roll it into a ball. Next, gently roll the truffle into the chia and sweet chili pistachio mixture until the outside of the ball is completely covered.
- Set aside on your plate or tray and continue until you’ve made 20 truffles, or you’ve run out of the mixture!
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!