Who doesn’t love Brussels sprouts? Actually, a lot of people. Whatever – the world is filled with weirdos, ha! And it ain’t going to stop me from dosing up on detoxification-promoting brassica veggies!
And if you can make an already hella-healthy dish even healthier…why wouldn’t you? In fact, it would be RUDE not to.
That’s why I love adding maca powder to what I refer to as “caramelized” sprouts – no caramel necessary. The delightful caramel-y flavour comes from the sensual blend of dijon mustard, maca powder, and honey – all mixed into a healing bone broth base. Talk about a pow-wow for your health!
Besides the Brussels sprouts being the cruciferous connection to healthy hormone metabolism, maca powder is also a wonder food for balancing your hormones – supporting your endocrine system to produce the right amounts of hormones you need. If this recipe wasn’t already synergistically balanced enough, maca is also a cruciferous vegetable of the mustard family.
Let’s just say, we’re all friends here. Keep reading for how to make my caramelized adaptogenic brussels sprouts recipe!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- ½ cup bone broth* (or water)
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 30 medium to large Brussel sprouts (1 to 2 inches in diameter)
- ¼ cup dry roasted pumpkin seeds (I used Skuta)
*PS. If you need a good bone broth recipe, check out one I shared earlier here!
WHAT TO DO:
- Set an Instant Pot to sauté and add the avocado oil and onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Whisk together the broth (or water), mustard, maca powder, and honey in a small bowl or shake in a glass jar. Add the Brussels sprouts to the cooker along with the dressing. Stir.
- Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Bring to low pressure; cook for 3 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid (remember to be careful and keep your face well away!).
- Transfer the sprouts to a serving dish and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Optional: if you prefer a crispier finish, you can roast everything as one final last step in the oven for 10-15 minutes (at 375 degrees celsius).
(Story by Contributing Editor, Kiki Athanas)