It’s hard to believe, but, Canadian Thanksgiving is here already, and (unfortunately) for many of us, it’s going to be a fairly untraditional one with few friends and family members in sight. Still, that doesn’t mean an amazing feast can’t be enjoyed together over Zoom or FaceTime calls, and today we’re sharing a fabulous plant-based and vegan option from our friends at VEGA. This Pumpkin Gnocchi is sure to please a (small) crowd, or even just a special meal for one. Best of all? Pumpkin is a local produce that’s in season right now (at least here in Ontario) use the long weekend to challenge yourself to something new in the kitchen!
Keep reading for how to make this vegan pumpkin gnocchi recipe:
What You Need:
1 (15oz) can of pumpkin puree
1-1.5 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
What To Do:
- Strain the can of pumpkin in a fine mesh strainer and leave overnight, or for at least one hour
- One strained, add pumpkin to a large bowl along with ½ the flour, thyme, cinnamon and salt.
- Knead into a soft, round ball on a light floured surface. Make sure the dough isn’t too sticky by adding additional flour as needed.
- Cut dough balls into quarters and roll each quarter into long snakes, and ½ an inch thick
- Using a knife or pastry cutter, cut snakes into ½ – 1 inch pieces
- Lightly roll the pieces in flour. Leave smooth or roll the gnocchi pieces over a fork to make ridges.
- In small batches, drop gnocchi into boiling, salted water until they float to the surface, about 2-3 minutes
- Strain and toss into a pan with your favourite sauce, or drop it into a hot pan with vegan butter and fresh sage leaves until lightly crispy.
- Serve immediately.