Hi! I’m Holistic Nutritionist, Laura De Sanctis
This weekend is the big game day – Super Bowl Sunday. It’s no surprise that during this time, unhealthy habits and indulgences creep back up again. With game day, comes loads and copious amounts of processed foods – dips, chips, nachos and more. Processed dairy and meats contain antibiotics and growth hormones, artificial flavours and not so natural colours. Instead, we encourage you to opt for healthier options and alternatives.
Without a doubt, the Super Bowl is all about the food and the half time show, so many of you are starting to plan out your menu. To help make the most of your Super Bowl, whether you’re hosting a party or just staying in, I’ve asked some of the top game day heros – holistic chefs, nutritionists, fitness and wellness experts their go-to healthy and clean eating recipes for Super Bowl Sunday. These game day recipes are the real MVPs and a true Super Bowl dream!
If you need some healthy inspiration when it comes to game day meals and snacking, check out the healthy recipes in this healthy recipe round-up eBook. We took some of the traditional Super Bowl foods and gave you healthy and tasty alternatives, to ensure you have the healthiest Super Bowl yet! Click HERE to download the free eBook.
The huddle is real! Are you ready to elevate your Super Bowl gathering with these healthy party-ready recipes? Go ahead and look through every recipe — I dare you not to drool!
Try making one of these healthy game day recipes below:
Healthy Game Day Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip
This is a great recipe, that is both gluten and dairy free, but is still super creamy!! What’s the trick you might ask? Cashews! Cashews are a great dairy alternative, as they actually give the consistency of a soft cheese. I recommend grabbing some Mary’s Crackers and some freshly chopped vegetables for dipping in this dip.
Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 0 mins Total Time: 30 mins Serves: 6-8
What You Need:
1 box frozen spinach, chopped (about 10 oz or 300g)
1 can of artichoke hearts, chopped (about 14 oz or 425ml)
1 TBSP coconut oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ of a large onion, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBSP lemon juice
Cracked pepper, to taste
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ cup cashews
½ cup water
What To Do:
- Soak cashews for minimum 2 hours in water (ideally 4-6 hours, but 2 is enough)
- Meanwhile, thaw spinach and drain water from it
- Drain cashews from water and put cashews in food processor with the ½ cup of water and blend until you get a really creamy texture (takes a few minutes)
- Remove from food processor and set aside
- Heat skillet with coconut oil to medium heat
- Sauté onion for about 5 minutes, or until translucent
- Add garlic and cook for another minute
- Add artichoke hearts, sea salt, cayenne, lemon juice and pepper to skillet and cook for another 5 minutes, or until fully heated
- Then add in spinach and mix in until spinach is heated
- Finally, add in cashew cream and nutritional yeast
- Transfer entire mixture to food processor and lightly pulse 4-5 times just so entire dip is mixed and chopped.
Your Ultimate Game Day Healthy Party Platter
A lot of the time, the snacks that accompany parties aren’t always the healthiest. So here is what I love to place on my platter:
What You Need:
Dips – hummus, pesto or my favourite roasted carrot dip
A selection of cheeses – ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella are some of my faves
Veggie sticks – carrot, cucumber, capsicum, green beans
Raw nuts and seeds
What To Do:
Arrange and serve!
(Story & recipes contributed by Laura De Sanctis of Go With Your Gut)