Just because Labour Day Weekend has rolled around (rather quickly we must say) it doesn’t mean summer has to totally come to an end. There are plenty of sunshine-filled days left and we plan to spend them grilling up anything and everything we can. We’re always looking for recipes that are packed with bold and interesting flavours so when we were introduced to Matthew Kumprey of TO’s The Butcher’s Son’s Miami Rib marinade that’s made with Ravenswood Zinfandel wine, we knew we had found the best of both worlds. Like, what’s better than grilled meat that’s been soaking in aromatic vino?
Keep reading for Matthew’s marinade recipe using Ravenswood Zinfandel wine!
Ravenswood Blueberry Miami Rib Marinade
The freshness of the blueberries, sweetness of honey and bold flavours from Ravenswood Zinfandel makes this marinade a sure fire hit for summer grilling. And don’t feel confined to using this for ribs alone – this marinade would add a punch of flavour to other cuts of meat such as a skirt, bavette or flank steak. – Matthew Kumprey
Yields approximately 1 litre
What You Need:
- 2 cups Ravenswood Zinfandel wine
- 2 pints, blueberries
- 1 ½ cups honey
- ½ bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
What To Do:
1. Add all of the ingredients into a bowl or food grade plastic container, except the oil.
2. Use a hand-held immersion blender and carefully blend all ingredients together.
3. Slowly add the oil and emulsify.
4. Submerge your ribs or choice of meat in the marinade.
5. Let meat rest in the marinade for approximately 18-24 hours.
6. Remove meat from bowl and grill on high heat for a few minutes on each side. Char the meat – the sugars from the marinade will create a nice caramelized texture.
(Story by Assistant Editor, Blair Stutz)